Tuesday, June 24, 2008
World Travellers Extraordinaire!
Okay, maybe not extraordinaire, but we did love our time in Bulgaria! We travelled all around the country for two weeks, seeing the people, eating the food, and experiencing the culture and sites. I'd have to write a book in order to tell all, but I hope a couple of pictures will suffice!
Here is Jess in front of St. Alexander Nevski church, the largest Pravaslav (Bulgarian Orthodox) Church in Sofia
Rila Monastery, in the middle of the mountains, the largest working monastery in Bulgaria
Jess with the beautiful paintings of Rila Monastery behind him. There are depictions of Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, and the entire book of Revelation, to name a few.
Assen's Fortress, originally built in the 9th century during the Byzantine empire and fortified by Tsar Assen in the 12th century, it was to guard the Aegean pass. Asenovgrad, Bulgaria.
Jess eating an American classic with a Bulgarian twist. French fries with sheep cheese ("seer-i-nay" to us English speakers).
Jess and I standing in front of the Russian Orthodox church in Shepka Pass. It was erected as a monument to the Russian and Bulgarian soldiers that held back the Turks and freed Bulgaria from the Turkish yoke.
Here we are with the Donev's, Nikolai, Dede, and Davidcho. We were able to visit with many of the people that Jess knew while he was a missionary in Bulgaria, which was a real treat for both of us to see everyone.
In Varna in front of the Black Sea. We spent a couple days swimming and enjoying the beach there.
Again at the Black Sea, this time at Slanchev Briak (Sunny Beach) with Nessebar in the background. Nessebar is a little peninsula where over two dozen churches once operated.
Jess on a cobblestone street in Plovdiv. All the streets in Old Plovdiv are still cobblestone, narrow, and very uneven. Quite an adventure to drive on, especially trying to fit two cars on them!
2 comments:
welcoming to the blogging world! I am totally jelous of your trip!
I was excited to think I might be the first one to comment on your blog... but Sarah beat it to me! It looks like you had so much fun! The Black Sea is beautiful! (As is the architecture!)
Post a Comment